Friday, March 30, 2007

LibraryThing is my thiiiing & Technorati is alrighty

Technorati provides a pretty neat way to search for tags out there in the blog world. After reviewing the different ways to search (i.e. through blog posts, tags and the blog directory), I (of course) discovered that searching for a term that shows up in any blog post turns up the most results for "Learning 2.0" and "kcls27things." However, if I wanted to search for something with more relevance, then bloggers who wanted people to find them based on certain tags they've set up or the way they've registered their blog with Technorati are easier to locate by searching through tags or the blog directory. I went ahead and registered my blog out there just to see how many hits I get based on the tags I used. We shall see...

The really exciting thing for me this week was LibraryThing. I've always wanted a neat electronic way to organize the items I own at home and share comments on them with friends and family. LibraryThing makes this incredibly easy! What a powerful and fun tool to find interesting books, share comments about books and even find commentary about certain editions, thanks to its use of Amazon. I'm so happy to have my own account on LibraryThing and I can't wait to tell people more about it. KCLS departments at different branches should consider setting up LibraryThing accounts to suggest items to patrons though the KCLS website is already chock full of good recommendations. At least with LibraryThing, patrons can give feedback too.

No comments: