Saturday, April 21, 2007

Rolling a Search and Library 2.0

After doing some experimentation with Rollyo and Google Custom Searching, I discovered that Google Custom search is my favorite. I searched the KCLS custom search for the term "Earth Day" and Google gave me the best results. Rollyo gave me some pages from SPL that had the words "earth" and "day" together but they had nothing to do with Earth Day. After determining that Google Custom worked better for me, I set up a custom search for Asian American Lit which I have posted in my blog sidebar. Good stuff!

As for the articles on the Library 2.0 concept, I was really intrigued by the comments that Rick Anderson made about the "icebergs" to avoid as libraries continue to adapt. I agree that the old ways of setting up the library need to change. Services should be set up online so that patrons don't always need to come to a library. I also heartily agree that library services should not have to include a research education technique. Rather, out libraries should easily guide patrons through the use of placing holds, picking up items and searching out items on desired subjects.

Regarding the use of library metadata, I agree with one of the writers that this information should be put to better use. There ought to be greater ways to sort through search results, such as access ISBN information for certain editions and current popularity of an item. We collect so much information on items that patrons ought to be able to access it too.

No comments: